The Hammenwoning is an old farm (± 1550) in Delft. It’s the last piece of ancient architecture on the Delft University campus. Ruben Smits and Koen Kegel have been given the assigment to research it’s history and create a design with suitable functions.
Sara Stroux of the ®MIT department of the faculty of architecture of the TU Delft is the tutor of the project, which is commissioned by the Real Estate Department of the TU Delft.
The first post is at the bottom of this page.
For more pictures of the project, please visit our Flickr pictures page.
The latest post is always displayed directly underneath this line.
Hammenwoning final presentation at FMRE TU Delft
Today Ruben Smits and I had a presentation before 7 employees of Facility Management and Real Estate department of the Technical University of Delft. Part of this presentation, which consisted out of a digital Keynote presentation and posters, can be found here.
First design sketches2011-03-22
Last week the first steps in the design process have been taken. We work individually to get to our own design and also get a great diversity in approaches. The past week was used to make mass studies. In our wooden model we put foam models of the new additions to get an idea of scale, relations and shape. This method is used to quickly get an idea of what direction we want to go and wat the effect is of certain volumes on certain locations. To get a complete overview of what the possibilities are on the plot, we also made models for ideas which didn’t appeal to us very much in the first place or which are very extreme. By making these extreme models, a less conventional point of view is given, which can be used later in the process.
All the models are compared to our ideas of the strengths and weaknesses so it becomes clear what the threats and opportunities for the design are. If all the approaches are compared in the end, sometimes one approach gives a solution for a weakness of the other.
For next week more research will be done on the amount of space needed for the functions we have chosen and they will be located on the plot. More alternatives will be created for one of the models of past week.
Presentation of Hammenwoning analysis2011-03-16
Last Tuesday, March 15th, we presented our analysis of the Hammenwoning and we made a design proposal for the functions to come. The presentation was given to a parallel group of Master students from the RMIT department as well as their tutor Hennie Brouwer, our tutor Sara Stroux and Lidy Meijers, the coordinator of Master 1 at RMIT.
For the analysis, all the information received from the different experts in the past weeks was put together in a report. This has resulted in an extensive document with the analysis on different scales and time periods. To conclude the analysis, a value assessment had been made for all the objects on the plot, as well as a design proposal for a new function. Both this value assessment and design proposal were done individually. In the coming months we will make an individual design for the reuse of the Hammenwoning, which will be presented at the end of June.
Contact us if you want to use the information of our analysis in any way.
A high quality version and all original digital drawings are available.
Excursion with Frits van Ooststroom2011-02-15
After a week of measuring, drawing and historical research, mister Frits van Ooststroom (second from the right in picture) joined us to share his expertise on Midden Delfland farms. We did a tour through the whole farm and found out a lot about the former day to day use of the farm.
Some of our assumptions were wrong. For example: we thought the cows were fed hay only, but there seems to have been an elaborate system of leftover grain products from gin distilleries around Schiedam and Delft that were actually a kind of sludge (slop) that was fed to the cows.
In 1983 mister Van Ooststroom co-writed a book on farms around Delft and this will be another piece of detailed information we can use for our historical analyses of the Hammenfarm.
We would like to thank the current temporary tenant of the Hammenwoning, mister Berend Jan Berends (first from the left on the picture) for giving us access to the farm for our measurements and excursions.
Excursion with experts2011-02-08
In the early morning Aart Struijk (amateur hisotrian with expertise on the Hammenwoning) and Huub van ‘t Hart (KNNV natuurbeheer) came by to talk to us about the Hammenwoning farm complex. Mister Struijk talked to us about the research he has done on the history of the farm. He found out on an old figurative map by Jacob van Deventer that the farm was already mentioned in 1556. He told us a lot about the history of the area and we are very grateful that he shared all this knowledge with us. Afterward we went with both gentlemen to the farm itself. There we met up with Sara Stroux, our tutor, and Wido Quist, who is an expert in historic building surveys. We got more accurate estimations about the age of parts of the buildings and the materials used.
The rest of the afternoon was spent measuring the interior of the barn, of which no drawings exist but our own. We are now finalizing our drawings, which we will use to create a design for the reuse of the existing structure.
Next week, we have an appointment with Frits van Ooststroom, who has been a researcher of farmhouses in and around Delft, and will share his knowledge on the history and traditional use of the Hammenwoning and it’s adjacent buildings. We’ll keep you posted!
First day of measurements2011-02-04
The Hammenwoning is a very old farm, and there are no detailed plans available of the different buildings in the Delft archives. To analyze the building and to make a design for reuse, it’s necessary to have good drawings. The first step will be to make good measurements of the buildings. By measuring we want to find out how the buildings relate to each other, what the global exterior and interior dimensions are. We’ll put these measurements in our digital drawings from which we are able to start our own designs.
This measuring has started last week. First of all, sketches are being made of the area and of the different buildings. In these sketches, the distances are written, which are being used to draw the plans and façades in AutoCAD. These drawings are then used again to make more detailed measurements of the interior and the facades, as well as important details. Last friday the distances between the different buildings are measured to create a clear plan of how the buildings relate to one another. For the cow barn a sketch has been made for the façades and the interior. For the house there are some drawings available from the façade and some very rough plans. Those will be used to do the interior measurements and the measurements for the layout of the façade.
On a very small scale a design will be made for the reuse of the Hammenwoning on the campus area of the TU Delft. The plot consists of a gate, a house, a small barn, a big barn for cows and two haystacks which are all monuments. There are also a small henhouse and a concrete circular building. The Hammenwoning is the oldest building in the area around the Rotterdamseweg. It’s one of the first farms built around Delft and was shown on a map by Jacob van Deventer in 1556. Later on the gate was constructed in 1608. The house was demolished with only the foundations remaining and rebuilt in 1927. The big barn next to the house was built in 1900. Only the gate and the small barn southeast from the house have been there since about the 17th century.
The building was built by the owner of brewery ‘In de Ham’ in the centre of Delft, this is probably why the house was called ‘Hammenwoning’, although there are also some other myths about the house being sold for two hams, based on the fact that the gate has two hams in its decorations. More detailed information on the history of the Hammenwoning and its relation to Delft will follow.
Ruben Smits and Koen Kegel are working together on this project for the RMIT Master studio of the TU Delft.